The Shepherd Community is one of the oldest historically black communities in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The community’s first settlers came to what is now known as Shepherd with Judge Lewis Shepherd and his wife Lila Pope in 1877. They had been freed from slavery 12 years prior.
These settlers came with Judge Shepherd as sharecroppers and domestic servants. Those former slaves and their descendants are buried in Shepherd at the Citizens’ Cemetery. The community survives and maintains strong bonds among residents and former residents.
Shepherd is ideally located within walking distance of the Chattanooga Metropolitan Airport, the Greyhound bus station, railroad lines, Interstate 153 and Hamilton Place Mall.